#SomosNC Statewide Listening Tour
We believe that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution. This belief is what fuels LatinxEd’s Statewide Listening Tour – #SomosNC! During this year-long initiative, we’ll be traveling your way to sit down with you and other community members to learn more about nuestra comunidad, as well as the dreams y’all have for our Latinx families.
At LatinxEd, we believe that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution. However, many of the unique barriers to opportunity facing Latinx families in North Carolina go largely undiscussed at decision-making tables when planning local and state investments and policy-making. There are persistent gaps in the process that prevent these strategic planning processes from being truly representative of the changing face of this state – specifically, a lack of representation of Latinx educators, non-profit, and community leaders. These leaders have first-hand knowledge of the educational challenges and opportunities facing this growing community.
With support from the John M. Belk Endowment, LatinxEd is excited to announce the launch of the #SomosNC — We Are NC — Listening Tour to amplify Latinx stories that lift up the challenges and opportunities we face statewide when it comes to advancing Latinx student success.
LatinxEd looks to:
- identify barriers and opportunities to providing a sound, high quality education for every Latinx student in North Carolina,
- learn about promising programs and practices from educators and community leaders serving Latinx families, and
- engage with Latinx families to learn from their educational experiences and amplify their stories.
For each stop, there will be:
- Interviews with education leaders
- Interviews with Latinx-serving organizations
- Roundtables with students, caregivers, & educators
- Virtual town hall
LISTENING TOUR TIMELINE
October 2021: stop #1 – North Central region
November 2021: stop #2 – Piedmont Triad region
January 2022: stop #3 – Northwest region
February 2022: stop #4 – Western region
March 2022: stop #5 – Southwest region
April 2022: stop #6 – South Central region
May 2022: stop #7 – Southeast region
June 2022: stop #8 – Northeast region